kliko 2

Saturday 13 July 2013

“I come from a town of 5,000 people, this is crazy”

Asier Illarramendi, Real Madrid’s latest signing, was presented at the Bernabéu and will wear the number 24.

Asier Illarramendi was presented to the fans at theBernabéu this Saturday. Just as Ancelotti, Isco andCarvajal did, Illarramendi, who will wear the number 24, gave a small speech after being presented byFlorentino Pérez. “I want to say this is a special day for me, it’s a remarkable achievement to be able to play for this club. A few days ago I couldn’t imagine this happening. It’s a unique opportunity. This is a huge club. I’ll give my all for Real Madrid. The decision to come here wasn’t easy. I was a small boy when I went toReal Sociedad and I’m grateful to them for everything, for the love the club and the fans have shown me. But to be part of this great club is such an opportunity. I’ll give everything for the badge and I’m looking forward to a season of triumphs. Thanks to my family and my friends, and I hope we can add to the great history of this club.
After his speech the ex-Real Sociedad player had his photo taken with his family and Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez then invited the midfielder’s friends, about 30 of them who had made the trip south to the capital, onto the stage for a photo. Illarra then put on the Real Madrid strip for the first time, before heading out onto the Bernabéu turf for his first touches of a football as a Madrid player.
Illarramendi then held a press conference with Real Director of Football Pardeza, who warned him: “This is a very demanding club, the only thing we want is for you to become part of it. I know about your effort, your ability and your talent”.
Successor to Xabi Alonso? “It’s obvious that Xabi Alonso is a great player, and he came up through the ranks at Real Sociedad and he’s always been a reference point. I hope to learn a lot playing with him. He told me that being at the club is amazing and just seeing all this today, well it’s all true. I have the chance to play with him. He’s a great player, like all the players here. Xabi told me I should come here, he said it was amazing, and now I’m living it”.
Most expensive Spanish player: “Now I have to work hard. We start on Monday and I hope everything goes well for us and we have a successful season”.
Friends: “I said goodbye to them in [my home town of] Mutriku, and they were organising themselves to come down and support me. They’re amazed by what they’re seeing. We’re from a small town of 5,000 people!”
Hard decision: “You know what I went through. I’ve been at Real Sociedad for 12 years and I’ve had great times there. Leaving all that behind isn’t easy but I couldn’t let this chance get away from me. Florentino and the other directors have been amazing. I’m grateful to them and now I need to work hard”.
What can you bring: “I don’t really play like anyone else, I need to work humbly, but with ambition. I’ll give it my all and try my best out on the pitch”.
Young Spaniards at Madrid: “It’s good, I’ll be with teammates from the under 21 team, like Carvajal, Isco, Morata and Jesé...”
Ancelotti: “I had the chance to speak to him. He called me, he congratulated me and I’m grateful to him for that. Now I know I need to fight hard. It won’t be easy but I can at least try to work my way into the team. It will be tough, but let’s see what happens. Zidane hasn’t called me, but I spoke to the president”.
Different life: “I was nervous earlier on today, but I’m ok now. My life will change a lot... I come from a town of 5,000 people. My life will change, but I’m sure that I won’t”.
Are you scared by the challenge? “No. It’s attractive. Now I’m focussed on Monday”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.